Welcome

Hello, welcome to my blog. I'm still not sure what I will be featuring in this blog. I know it will be about quilting, but I might throw in the latest book I'm reading on my Kindle. So come along a follow me through my world of quilting and other stuff.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Starting UFQs??

Hello Again:  Sorry I did not blog yesterday, but when I got home from work, I just went straight to bed.  Maybe I should call my blog the” Busy Quilter”, because I am always doing something that keeps me out of the sewing room.  I did come home today and cooked dinner, watched my grandson, clean my daughter’s room (looking for my grandson’s shoes) the room is a mess and sit down for a few to catch my breath.   As I was sitting there, I thought well let me get started on one of my UFOs.  What a great name for a unfinished quilt.  Ya, I know you know what a UFO is, but I got to thinking why do we call them UFOs.  When I first heard this term I thought is meant Unidentified Flying Object.


So I looked it up and found a great definition by Janet Wickell, at About.com Guide. “They’re not objects flying around in the sky (unless we toss them around because they're so ugly).  A UFO is an Unfinished Object--the remnants of those quilts we start to make but never seem to finish”.  Why don’t we just call them UFQs (Unfinished Quilts).  Well that is what I think anyway.
So the first UFO I got my hands on was this quilt I started last year at a Scrap Bag Retreat given by my Bee/Guild member Carolyn Burgess (Lady Scrapbag).  The pattern I got from a friend (Charlene) who had made 4 or 5 of these quilts call the Wickedly Easy by Annie, it uses fat quarters.  I finished the top and a friend quilted it for me.  I only have to bind it.

These are the scraps from the quilt that I will be using for the binding, they are 2 1/2".
I have already sewed them together for the binding, and just have to press them out and sew it on.  I will get to it tomorrow, then take it to the Guild meeting on Saturday to sew it on.  This is a crib size quilt, I also made one in black a white queen size, which I taken plan to send out for quilting.

Finishing UFQs
The Slow Quilter


1 comment:

  1. I'll be looking to see some busy fingers at guild meeting tomorrow! My Wickedly Easy was given to my niece for her college graduation last month - she loves it, especially with her name on the label.

    ReplyDelete